A blog is what you are reading now! It is a type of social media that allows you to write posts on a regular basis that can be read by anyone on the Internet. Blogging is a great way to keep people updated about the progress of your business. It is a brilliant way to connect to people locally and globally, to market your business and sell your products or services.
Monthly Blogging Competition
We are running a Commonwealth School Enterprise Challenge blogging competition! Each month we will award a prize of a Teach a Man to Fish goody bag to the school that produces the best blog post. We will also feature the winning posts on our website. This is a chance to win recognition for your work and get a global audience for your enterprise. It is essential that you update your blog at least once a month so that you have a chance to win.
Starting Your Blog
Go to: www.wordpress.org. Click on ‘Get Started Here’ and follow the instructions for setting up your blog. When it is set up, start writing and tell as many people as you can about it! For more detail on starting your blog we have produced a guide to using social media, called “Connect, Communicate, Share”. This guide will be available on our website soon, just log in and go to ‘Resources’. Or click here.
Guide to Good Blogging
Below are some tips on good blogging:
- Blog Regularly – You should aim to write at least six blog entries – one per calendar month – for the duration of the competition.
- Length – Each blog should be between 300-500 words long.
- Content – Each blog entry should update readers on how your enterprise is progressing. You can focus on anything you want, but here are some ideas:
- How you have come up with your business idea.
- The progress of your sales.
- How you are producing your product or service.
- Any events that you have run.
- Photos & Videos – The most interesting blogs include photos and/or videos alongside written content. If possible, try and include pictures that represent the progress of your enterprise. Here are some ideas:
- Photos of your team members, or a video of them introducing themselves.
- Photos of your production process or a video of it in action.
- Photos or videos of events that you run or take part in.
- Photos or videos of you selling your products.
If you want some inspiration check out these amazing blogs from previous School Enterprise Challenge participants:
So, now you know about blogging get online, start a blog and start telling the world about your business! Update it regularly and keep an eye out for announcements about the blogging competition!