This week we are looking into our educational resource Pack 3 – Imagine, Create, Develop. You can find this pack on our website, just click here. Part of this pack shows you how to develop the brand of your school business and how to make your customers aware of it. In this blog I’m going to share tips for designing an awesome logo to represent your brand and for creating a poster to advertise your school business.
How to design a good logo
So, you have decided on the name for your business and now you want to create an identity for it. A good way to make people recognise your business is to use a logo. A logo is a simple picture which represents your business.
Before designing your logo, decide what kind of qualities your business has that makes it special; for example, maybe the business is good for the environment, or it is based on computer technology, or you have decided to sell delicious food. You can then decide how you would translate these qualities into a picture.
Next, think about logos you like and dislike and why you feel this way. A logo I really like is that for the Fairtrade Foundation.
Why do I think this is a great logo?
- Simplicity: the circle is a simple shape, there are only three colours. Green and blue represent the natural world and the organisation’s focus on sustainability.
- Who is the business aimed at: the image of the person indicates the organisation’s focus on helping workers in the developing world, which is what consumers will be interested in. It is similar to the Chinese yin and yang symbol which represents balance.
- Writing: sometimes the single word Fairtrade accompanies the logo, but it remains simple.
- The logo is recognisable even in black and white.
- It is easy to understand whether large or small.
How to design a poster
A poster is used to attract attention and can be used to give out important information about your business quickly. Before designing your poster think about the information you want to give out. Perhaps make a list.
Let’s look at the good points about a poster by the University of Ulster’s Students’ Union to advertise an event they have organised to make people more aware of the Fairtrade Foundation.
- Brand name: it states clearly Fairtrade.
- Logo: it has the Fairtrade Foundation logo (and university logo because the students are organising the event).
- Product, service, or event: the students are organising an event called Fairtrade Awareness Day to increase awareness of the brand.
- Where customers can find the business: times and places for the event are explained.
- An image of the product or service: there are images of farm workers which the Fairtrade Foundation supports, sugar – a Fairtrade product, and a hooded jumper which visitors can win in a competition.
Next think about the design of the poster. I thought that this poster was well-designed because of several reasons.
- The text is large, clear, and easy to read. Short phrases are used.
- It uses a few, simple colours which are pleasant to look at. They are the same colours as the Fairtrade Foundation logo.
- The images used are appropriate for the event.
Do you think there are any qualities of a good logo or poster design that we have missed out? We would love to know what they are, just comment below!
Remember to upload your wonderful logo designs onto your School Profile on our website, just click here. Not only is this a way to share your fantastic designs, but it will increase your chances of winning our School Profile Competition. We also have a Logo Designing Competition opening very soon! To find out more about the competitions you can enter and prizes you can win click here.
Thank you for reading this week’s blog. We hope you will come back again next week!
Your School Enterprise Challenge blogger,